Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Taste of China


'China Gate'

When me and my brothers were younger, and in the habit of receiving birthday gifts, my oldest brother received a book called, 'a little treasury of Chinese wisdom'.  He never read the book, but it turned out to be one of the most influential books I've ever read in my whole life.

It began me down a long path of seeking wisdom, and the Ancient Chinese had accrued tremendous wisdom and insight through empirical observation over hundreds of generations.  I later studied and mastered Chinese Medicine and Judo, both practices with origins in East Asia.

While I am not Chinese, wisdom is universal, and I find many of the observations of Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, and the many Zen masters (like Dogen for example) to be keen and insightful, yet funny, simple, and paradoxical.  That is the mystery and the charm of eastern philosophy.

So here is an artwork inspired by the East.  

No comments:

Post a Comment