Friday, January 4, 2019

The Shaman's Drum


'Shaman Playing Drum'

This drawing is based on a wood-engravement from the late 1700's.  When the Europeans came to the Americas around that time, they found the practice of the medicine men, or shamans to be most unique.

I saw this engraving years ago and then I found it last night on a Google Images search.  It reminds me of the past and what I've read and thought about shamans.  At one time priest, magician, and healer, these enigmatic leaders wore many hats.  They did a lot of different things at the same time.

I hope, with future works and entries, to explore this theme, but rather than depicting the shamans, I want to actually translate their experiences into images.  And that means I have to experience more things myself.  

There's a number of ways to do that, but I will figure it out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment