Saturday, November 17, 2018

What to do with all this artwork and writing

I'm coming to a clearer understanding of myself and a more realistic world view.

First of all, most people are not enjoying their lives to the fullest.  Most people in this part of the world have full time jobs, spouses, children, and a ton of responsibilities.  That means, they practically have no free time to do something joyous, educational, or fun.

I on the other hand, enjoy a lot of free time and lead a very spontaneous, joyful existence.  I have no wife, no children, no full time job, and no responsibilities.  Buddhism teaches you that you can attain enlightenment and enduring happiness without money, women, status, and power.  To illustrate this point, there is a Buddhist saying, 'at the gates of the miserable millionare lives a contented beggar.'

Happiness comes from internal mind states, not external circumstances.  You have very little power to change outside phenomena, but you have total control over your mind, emotions, thoughts, dreams, and attitude.  Sometimes intangible things are more valuable than people or possessions. 

I've decided in regards to my creativity to focus mostly on visual art.  I have a graphic design diploma and so, I am well versed in art theory and aesthetics.  I also enjoy art very much, and I'd do it regardless of whether I'm paid for it or not.

My main priority is to stay healthy.  Health is the first thing, before money and a lover.  If you are not physically able and healthy, you really can't enjoy life.  And that is what God wants us to have, to have joy in everything we do, both in this world and the next.

I know I'll never make a killing in the stockmarket, so I'll never be rich, but on the other hand, I need income from my talents just to survive.  And so, the message is, I will reserve my best works for sale on etsy, great works I find more special than others on my portfolio, and less sentimentally valuable works for this blog. 

I hope you understand me, gentle reader, I am only doing what is best for myself.  That's natural to put yourself first. 


'Judgement in the Underworld'

This is a drawing I had in my sketchbook for years but only recently scanned it and colored it.  It has an Egyptian motif to it since it represents Osiris, the lord of the dead, judging a recently deceased soul by weighing his heart against the feather of truth.

Obviously, this is all primitive mythology and is not real.  There essentially is no hellfire or underworld, and the Creator doesn't want to judge or torture any of his children (you and I).  When I was young, I used to go to the library a lot and read young adult mythology. I quickly noticed some reoccuring themes in  mythology, and saw how even the JudeoChristian bible is essentially a myth that some people take literally.

This is the kind of work I consider good, but not good enough by my understanding to sell on etsy or include in my portfolio.  It is still a beatiful work with a rich story to it.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment